Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Cloisters

I'm in New York all this week, and taking the opportunity to do a few things I don't usually have time for when I'm only up for a night or two. I can't remember if this was my third or fourth visit to The Cloisters, but at any rate I love being able to pretend I'm back in Europe for a few hours. It was gloriously warm and sunny out, entirely too spring-like for late November.

The Bonnefont Cloister and herb garden.


These ladies have always been my favorites of the collection. They're early 16th-century reliquary busts; here's a better photo.

One of many spooky characters carved in the capitals of the Cuxa Cloister.

Tomb effigy of a knight in the Gothic Chapel.

(I'm skeptical.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe they used "miracle gro" on the magic plants.

Emily said...

Ooh, I loved the Cloisters when I visited! Thanks for bringing back my happy memories of them. :-)

nova said...

I've lived here for a decade and can you believe I've never really visited the Cloisters? (Beyond walking past.)

You've inspired a trip uptown with this post.

Unknown said...

I really want to visit the Cloisters, but I never make it there. Next trip to NY I need to finally go!