So, I promised myself I wouldn't buy more fabric until I'd used some of what I've got.
And then, naturally, I bought more fabric.
I'm still planning to make the basic dress out of Cal Patch's book, but I've got to draft the pieces first, and I wanted a second sundress now. I first found this fabric (the line is Santorini by Lila Tueller) while I was in London, but it was mad-crazy expensive (something like £11.50 per meter, which is roughly $15 per yard, when the fabric retails here for $8.95), and I wound up getting it on sale from My Needle & Thread (another Etsy shop). With the bold outlines around each leaf and flower, the fabric reminds me of a stained glass window.
(Park photos by John the Bad.)
Sundress #2 took longer than #1 even though I skipped the pockets again. I realized midway through that my machine really needed a tune-up, so I packed it up and took it to the local Sew 'n Vac; I was holed up at Rachel's (she is a lifesaver, let me tell you) working on the new magnum opus; and then with my grandpa's funeral and family time and all.
(Kind of a goofy photo of me, but a better shot of the dress. Also, from looking at this one I think I need to adjust the right strap. My right, that is.)
This dress has already been very much splashed on and stained with SPF 70 sunscreen.
The only change between #1 and #2 is the length of the bodice—this time I did a few more rounds (38 instead of 35).
Now I'm ready to try something more challenging! I'm going to make a dress to wear at my launch party in October—fingers crossed it works out...
(She stuck a crochet hook in a ball of yarn and called it a yarnipop.)
[Edit 6/21: Kate asked for a close-up of the bodice. I was concerned that the larger print would look odd under the shirring, but I think it looks totally fine.]