Friday, May 8, 2009

The Muppet Sweater

Back in November I made reference to my first-ever sweater attempt. In the beginning, unless you have a LYS (local yarn store) with good customer service and lots of nice yarn and supplies to choose from, chances are you will be looking for yarn at a "big box store" (Jo-Ann, Michael's, A.C. Moore). Most of the yarn at the big box stores is acrylic blend—decent choices for charity or baby items, but not so much if you're looking to make a really nice sweater, shawl, or whatever. The short of it is, I didn't know any better back then. I picked a novelty yarn that looked and felt oh so snuggly, and paired it with this pattern from Knitty. This was the hilarious disaster that ensued:
You've just read my defense, but still...what the hell was I thinking?!

This 2/3-finished (and how did it even get that far?) Muppet Sweater has been living in a yellow plastic bag in my closet for the past three and a half years. I only took it out recently to frog it and ball the yarn up to donate to charity (speaking of which, if any of you knitters out there have yarn, needles, etc. that you're never going to use, consider mailing it to a school in Manhattan. Full details in the Craftlit show notes.) So I donated it, but of course I just had to take a picture of it first, so that I can look at it whenever I need a good laugh.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

See I don't see anything that ridiculous about that sweater--I certainly wouldn't call it a Muppet sweater.

Ailbhe said...

Well, it's better than my first ever knitting project, which was supposed to be a hair band. I got bored/frustrated/distracted by something shiny, and abandoned it at about five inches. At which point my brother Colum acquired it and found it made a very fine cape for his Luke Skywalker action figure. Which is a happy ending of sorts.

Unknown said...

Wow! As a recipient of your more recent creations, I can attest to the fact that you've come quite a long way! My sweaters from you are quite gorgeous! (And thanks by the way. It was sad to pack them away for the summer)