Thursday, February 4, 2010

We pray for those we have loved, and see no more.

While I was in Rye I entered St. Mary's Church during the daily service, and decided to sit down in the back and pay attention just for curiosity's sake (I'd never been to an Anglican service before). This line from the prayers of the faithful has stuck with me—we pray for those we have loved, and see no more.

Today would have been my grandmother's 87th birthday. She's been gone nearly fourteen years but I still miss her every day, and every time I pass the cemetery I think about the day they bought the plot, how she told my parents they could wave whenever they drove by on Route 130. Then, according to my dad, she started laughing hysterically, which kind of weirded him out; but if I'd been there, I know I would have laughed too.

Anyway, every so often doesn't it feel good to celebrate the people who have helped make us who we are? My grandmother was kind and smart and patient and wise. She was selfless to a fault. She made the best meatloaf (and I say that as someone who hasn't eaten meat in almost ten years). She was one of the few adults who would play games with us—Old Maid, Go Fish, Trouble, and swimming races. She always let me win.

And she was, of course, a voracious reader.

Now this portrait looks over my writing desk.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the picture of the two of you laughing--it's rare that we're able to properly capture those moments. It brought me to tears.

Voracious reader except for the racy parts ;)

Camille said...

How do you know she wasn't just saying she skipped the racy parts? The other day Grandpa and I were talking about how she told me they waited a year to get married when it had actually been only seven months because she 'didn't want me to get the wrong idea.' (??) So I bet you she read the racy parts and just told us she hadn't. ;)

Camille said...

p.s. I'd give anything to be able to remember what we were laughing about!

Sarah P. Miller said...

This is really lovely, Camille.

Unknown said...

Well you can have my memory of when Ma, Grandma, and I were playing cards, we found 5 queens, and laughed and laughed and laughed.

Eileen said...

Perfect tribute Camille. I love how you captured her on film and also of course with your words. I, like you, miss her every day, but am so thankful for the 30 years we had together.

Betty Ann said...

Lovely memorial for a truly lovely woman. You captured her essence so well. I tend to agree with you that she may have read the racy parts as I think my Mom did, too, and they compared notes on everything. Altho my Mom was not as much a reader as Aunt Dot/Dort/Dorothy. Enjoy her beautiful photo and know that she is proud of you and your many creative talents.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely tribute, Camille. It's great to be able to see her through your eyes. When Olivia makes me feel so loved, I know how having you girls in her life made Mom feel. Trust me, it is a beautiful feeling, like nothing else you've ever experienced. God bless and keep you Mom and all of your loving family.

Camille said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, everyone! I'm writing this on the sofa where Grandma used to read. :}