Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Going Dark

I'm leaving for Yaddo today, and I've promised myself there will be no blog-reading, tweeting, or facebooking while I'm there. Wild with anticipation, of course, but there's also a whiff of ‘trial by fire’ about the whole thing: either I have the most productive month of my life, or I go completely potty from internet withdrawal. (There is internet access, just not in the studios, and I know I won't be sneaking into the WiFi area during working hours for fear of being seen. Sometimes shame is a very good thing.)

(What I'm packing: a copy of Mary Modern for the Yaddo library, some Petty Magic ARCs, one of the Moleskine notebooks Elliot gave me for Christmas, lots of looseleaf paper and gel pens, and a bunch of great books for research and/or pleasure. There's also a book of Dürer etchings—I thought I might use them for inspiration, you know, just sit and ruminate on "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" until I start getting ideas. I'll let you know how that little experiment goes.)

If I can get some good photos (and permission, when needed) I’ll be sure to post them (after 4pm!), and in the meantime this thing is set to auto-blog: more photos from Eastern Europe, great books, and some random nerdy stuff.

5 comments:

JennyW said...

Have a great time! Hope it's a fruitful and rewarding experience. I'm sure there won't be anything interesting happening in internet-land anyway, you won't miss much ;-)

Sarah P. Miller said...

A MONTH?! I will miss you, but I hope you have a most excellent time.

As Garrison Keillor says on The Writer's Almanac, "be well, do good work, and keep in touch."

To Yaddo!

Unknown said...

I was just sitting here thinking how lonely it will be this weekend :(

Daniel Yuhas said...

Oh wow - so exciting. Have a wonderful, productive time!

Unknown said...

We already miss you. W Court is just not the same!